Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 22, 2010: Guangzhou - Free Day...Just Hanging with the Family

This morning when we woke up, I noticed that Kate had a rash.  It concerned me mainly because she had all of those shots yesterday.  The White Swan has a Medical Clinic on the 3rd floor so I called and the Dr. told me I could bring Kate.  Sean and I took Kate immediately along with her new immunization record.  She was in a great mood and not acting at all ill, but I just wanted to get it checked out.  The Dr. was nice enough but his English was very, very limited.  He said the rash was not sue to the shots but probably something she had eaten.  He did not seem very concerned about the rash...but then he noticed the injection site for Kate's TB test.  He began talking in Chinese to his nurse and they did a lot of back and forth while Sean and I just sat there clueless.  Finally, he said.."she has the tuberculous"...at which point...I was just praying that I could hold it together and my main concern was whether the Chinese Government would let us leave the country with Kate.  Sean kept asking the Dr. if she had the virus or if she was just sensitive to the test.  It was all so unclear...that we left pretty shaken. 
 
I called Grace, our CCAI guide, and she explained that we should not worry.  Many children have a sensitivity to the test due to a vaccine that is used in China (not in the US) and that if there was any question when we have the test results examined tomorrow...they would take a chest x-ray.  She said that 99% of the time, the children do not have TB.  So, at that point there was nothing I could do...so I decided not to worry...just pray and move on with trying to enjoy time with our new daughter and have a fun day.  We went back to the pool and swam for a bit.  The girls took a napped and played.  Later we took them to the play room in the hotel where they have a lot of toys for smaller children like Kate's age...but Caroline loved showing Kate how to use all of the toys.  We had dinner and got some ice cream.  I have included a couple of pictures of the girls playing with the console in the hotel room again and Caroline sharing her ice cream with Kate.  
 
Kate's little personality is really starting to come out now that she feels comfortable with all of us.  She loves to giggle and it is so fun to make her laugh!  She smiles a lot now and she is giving us hugs and clapping her hands when in excitement when Sean or I come in the room. 
 
She likes us!!  Yeah!

1 comment: