Friday, August 6, 2010

New Pictures of Kate from friends at Mooncake

Jingjing visiting Korea
Mooncake Volunteers with children from Yulin CWI
Dan is in the middle of the front row with the dark blue shirt.
Jingjing is in the yellow shirt in the front row on far right. 
Kate with one of her Nannies at Yulin CWI.
I love this expression! We've seen it in several photos of Kate.
Looks like our Kate has had another haircut!
I emailed my two sweet friends from the Mooncake Foundation to let them know when we would be in Xian to get Kate.  We had all hoped that we might be able to meet in person if the timing worked out right.  Unfortunately, it does not look like we will be able to meet Jingjing or Dan.  Jingjing is visiting Marlies (the founder of the Mooncake Foundation) in Holland for 6 weeks.  She returns to Yulin on August 28th.  Dan will be starting her post-graduate work in Xian on September 15th so we will miss seeing her as well.  Both Jingjing and Dan are getting degrees in English.

I am so thankful for the kind hearts of these two young women.  Their commitment to "Ability 4 Disability" and the volunteer work they do to forward the mission of the Mooncake Foundation is just awesome.  The access to current information (historical information is sketchy and limited) about Kate and the pictures of her that I have received every few weeks is just amazing and very unusual.  We had no such access to the foster family who cared for Caroline before we adopted her.  Every email and bit of information along with all of the photographs of Kate with her Nannies, in her crib, playing...these are all part of her story and will become increasingly important as she gets older and begins to try to piece together the first years of her life.

From The Mooncake Foundation website:
The Mooncake Foundation - Ability 4 Disability- does not donate money. We believe in providing training and schooling, as knowledge is power. With more knowledge, people can change things by themselves and become more independent. We believe in financing surgeries, but only within the country of origin of the child needing surgery, IF possible. In this way nurses, surgeons and doctors can develop and expand their knowledge. We believe in providing medical equipment and necessities, preferably from the country of origin to so promote local and national employment. We also strive to share the costs of all the above mentioned and more with local governments and the welfare institutes involved to increase their responsibility towards the most vulnerable ones, the disabled children.

This is the email I received from Dan this morning in response to my email about our travel dates. She also sent the photos of Kate above.  These will probably be the last photos we will receive before we get Kate on Sunday, August 15th.

Hi Sally,

Thanks for telling me all this. I will tell the Yulin Welfare Institute (YWI) staff. I know for sure the nannies will want to know this.

JingMei is doing great. Yes, she has gained some weight recently. She can stand by herself now, no problem. But she's still scared to walk by herself. She is more interested in crawling all over by herself. She's still trying to learn to walk, you can still be part of this. She has got a few new teeth. You may see it in the picture. That is when I went to the YWI last week (July 29th).

I am helping my cousin with her English these days. I have been to Hangzhou few weeks ago,and then visited my brother in a small town near Yulin for a few days. It's a fun holiday. Then I'm planing to go to Shenmu County for a friend's wedding. I will start my post graduate study in Xi'an on September 15th.

It's such a shame I won't be able to meet up with you in Xi'an. I hope Jing Mei won't cry too hard when you pick up her. She's a very shy girl, but she's beautiful and cute!!!

Oh, I tried to open the blogspot you send me, but it doesn't work. I guess it's blocked in China. You can put my picture or my name in your blog, no problem. I don't know if that will make me famous! :-)

Ok, I guess i need to go to bed now.
Have a nice trip! Enjoy yourselves in China!
Friend,
Zhang Dan

P.S. you can call me if you need any help.

2 comments:

  1. The Borgeson FamilyAugust 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new pictures of Kate! She's even got a little of the baby chub in the inside of her legs like Wy man! And the new haircut is...well, very easy to care for while in China ;) Still can't believe you guys leave the day after tomorrow!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    Ethel, The Netherlands
    www.mooncakefoundation.com

    ReplyDelete